Sunday, April 4, 2010

intimacy without sex

Wide awake
my conscience or too much pizza? - Jerry Maguire!
Unfortunately, too many people know it is possible to have sex without intimacy.
Unfortunately, not as many people know it is possible to have intimacy without sex.
As weird as it may sound, sharing my thoughts, feelings, seems like such a risk. I’m not very good at filtering/censoring my thoughts for public consumption. Calculating how people perceive, judge react to what I reveal of myself is "old behavior" as well as second nature.
What is kind of fun and liberating is deciding that how you react to me is your responsibility and not mine. How you react to me says more about you than it does about me.
Plus I trust you. I choose to trust you. I don’t have anything to be afraid of. We are Friends, right? Yeah, Right!
Trusting people is part of trusting God and trusting God is part of trusting people. Learning to trust is part of the process of reclaiming my humanity. Learning who to trust is a more painful part of that process.
Why does everything that is precious and good like a two-edged sword. Joy AND pain.
Children...the most joy (when they are doing well) and the most pain (when they are not).
Relationships...joy and pain
Trust...Joy when it is reciprocated and Pain when it is violated.
Love....Joy when it is returned/received and Pain when it is rejected/withheld.
And so it goes....on and on...round and round
I taught my kids a song when they were little. We used to sing it in the car on road trips.
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are gray. You'll never know dear, how much I love you. Please don’t take my sunshine away.
One day we were inspired to change the words.
Jesus is our sunshine, our only sunshine. He makes us happy when skies are gray. Someday we'll know just how much he loves us. No one can take our sunshine away.
So there it is. I would say that ALL of our yearning and desire for love, intimacy, relationship, fulfillment on the horizontal plane, the human plane is a reflection of a deeper yearning for a deeper fulfillment on the vertical plane, the spiritual plane. That’s where most of my pain comes from is mistaking the source of my fullfillment.expecting my needs for love, intimacy and relationship to be met by people instead of by God as I understand him. People/relationships are part of Gods will for me but not all of Gods will for me. Conscious Contact/Being/Awareness/Unitive Consciousness/Harmony/Wholeness..... So many ways to describe that elusive experience of Bliss/salvation. Our bodies are part of what makes us human. our mind/thoughts make us more human. our heart/feelings make us even more human. our Spirit/Love makes us most human.
Well, pizza or not, that is a little glimpse into my spaghetti factory. I'll end with this.... or..... This will be the last thing I'll share (LOL)
Everyday is a holiday (holy day).
Every meal is a feast.
Every breath is a gift.
Peace, Patrick

1 comment:

Art Coburn said...

Patrick this is great stuff and very insightful.